After 14 weeks in the conveyancing process, we finally moved into our new family home, 8 days after the arrival of our second daughter. Here are my top tips, if you’re crazy enough to move with a Toddler and a Newborn.
- Don’t do it- No seriously, if you can avoid it, then just don’t do it.
- Remember why you’re doing it- When it all gets a little too much and you can’t see the end in sight, remember why you are moving.
- Arrange childcare- Toddlers and moving don’t go hand in hand. We arranged for our toddler to have an extra day at nursery, we knew she’d be far happier playing with her friends all day than being told ‘not to touch this’ and ‘don’t climb on that.’ We wanted to make sure she felt as settled as possible so we ensured her room was together before she arrived home.
- Hire Removals- Previously we have always self moved, never again, talk about less stress on the day. We didn’t have to lift a finger (not that I was allowed to anyway), they were quick and efficient. But best of all everything arrived at the new house in one piece!
- Be prepared- Start packing early on, don’t leave it until the last minute. But don’t make our mistake, Toys and Disney DVDs were packed far to early making for a very unhappy and unsettled toddler.
- Accept help- If family and friends offer to help, take it. I don’t know what we would have done without the help of our friends and family on moving day. I, having only had Allana via caesarean 8 days prior to moving was banned from the house until everything had been moved in. My wonderful Mum stepped in and made sure my kitchen was unpacked before my arrival, knowing I would have a meltdown without tea and coffee!
- Change your address- Notify as many companies in advance of your move i.e gas, electricity, council tax. We were stuck without internet for a few weeks so having done this in advance made for a much easier life. Some won’t except a change of address until after you have moved but its worth giving them a call. Also get your post redirected, great if you haven’t been able to change your address with everyone and a brilliant reminder of anybody you might have forgotten about.
- Get a Take Away and enjoy your first night in your new home- Don’t even think about cooking, just sit down, chill out and take pleasure in your new home that you have finally moved into!
This photo reminds me that all the stress was more than worth it to provide a lovely home for my girls to play and grow up in.
Thank you for reading, I really hope this proves to be helpful to anyone moving or thinking of moving! See you in my next post!